Dickens 150: Special Charles Dickens 2020 Events
9th May - 6th September 2020
City of Rochester Society - Special Charles Dickens 2020 Events
To mark the 150th anniversary of Charles Dickens’ death the Society is putting on a wide variety of special guided walking tours and rambles, plus a unique & entertaining musical concert. Booking is only required where specified.
All Rochester walks start from the front of the Visitor Information Centre, 95 High Street, Rochester ME1 1LX and lasts approximately 1 to 1.5 hours. ‘Revue-ing the Situation’ & ‘Dramatic Dickens’ are ticketed events & are raising funds for the cathedral.
The other walks & the rambles are free, but generous donations are welcome towards the essential repair and conservation of the famous Dickens Chalet in Rochester High Street.
A new book by Geoff Ettridge / Rambler, ‘Rochester – A Monument to Dickens?’ will be on sale at £15 to raise funds for the Dickens Chalet. Food options cost extra (‘gruel & stew’ £5).
Private tours can also be booked via [email protected].
- Saturday 9 May 10:30am – ‘The Real Dickens’ guided walk - insights into the Rochester that Dickens knew - with a ‘gruel and stew’ & visit to the French Hospital gardens option at the end (food and gardens option needs to be booked in advance via mailto:[email protected]).
- Saturday 16 May 10:45am – ‘Pickwick Papers’ guided walk – a novel tour of Rochester.
- Saturday 23 May 10:45am – ‘Great Expectations’ guided walk - a novel tour of Rochester.
- Saturday 30 May 10:45am – ‘Pickwick Papers’ guided walk - a novel tour of Rochester.
- Saturday 6 June 10:45am – ‘Great Expectations’ guided walk - a novel tour of Rochester.
- Tuesday 9 June 2:15 & 7:30pm – ‘The Mystery of Edwin Drood’ guided walk - a novel tour of Rochester on the 150th anniversary of his death.
- Friday 12 June 7.30pm – ‘Revue-ing the Situation’ (£10) - a concert in Rochester cathedral crypt with professional actor & singer David Phipps-Davis featuring songs from musicals from Dickens’ books – for more information contact [email protected].
- Saturday 13 June 6pm – ‘Dramatic Dickens’ (£5) - a guided walk of Rochester including encounters with some of the characters from The Mystery of Edwin Drood - for more information contact mailto:[email protected].
- Sunday 14 June 10am - ‘Magwitch Marshes - A Remote and Desolate Place’ guided ramble - 13.5miles / 6.5 hours. Start: St Helen's church, Cliffe (ME3 7PY). A challenging walk only to be undertaken by those who are confident in their fitness and equipment.
- Friday 19 June 2pm – ‘The Real Dickens’ guided walk - insights into the Rochester that Dickens knew.
- Saturday 27 June 10:30am – ‘Sole Street Railway Station to Rochester’. Guided ramble - 9 miles / 4.5 hours. Meet in the car park of Sole Street railway station. The route will take in sites (including Gads Hill Place) & paths well known to Charles Dickens.
- Friday 17 July 7pm – ‘The Real Dickens’ guided walk - insights into the Rochester that Dickens knew.
- Sunday 26 July 10am - ‘Magwitch & Hulks’ guided ramble - 7.75miles / 3.5. hours. Meet in the car park of High Halstow National Nature Reserve (TQ781 757) – we visit the bay where Dickens may have envisaged the prison hulk anchored, from which Magwitch escaped.
- Wednesday 29 July 6:30pm – ‘Evening Ramble & Meal from Leather Bottle Pub’ - 4.5 miles / 2 hours - the route will take us around the edge of Cobham Park ending with a pre-booked meal at the Leather Bottle, Cobham. Booking essential via [email protected].
- Sunday 16 August 10:30am - “The Real Dickens” – guided walk - insights into the Rochester that Dickens knew.
- Sunday 30 August 10:30am - Haunts of Dickens” – guided circular walk - 4.5 miles / 2
- Hours from Leather Bottle pub, Cobham, taking in public grounds of Cobham Hall and the Mausoleum.
- Saturday 5 September 11am – ‘The Real Dickens’ guided walk focusing on the ‘Six/Seven Poor Travellers’. with a ‘gruel & stew’ & visit to the French Hospital gardens option at the end (food & gardens option needs to be booked in advance via geoff.ra[email protected]).
Dickensian Places to Visit
City of Rochester Society
c/o Medway Visitor Information Centre
95 High Street