Medway & Covid-19
Medway's attractions have begun to re-open in line with the Government's roadmap for easing Coronavirus lockdown restrictions.
Outdoor sports and leisure activities and many outdoor attractions such as zoos, outdoor dining and non-essential shops, along with indoor children's activities, have already re-opened, with safety measures and restrictions in place.
Indoor attractions and leisure activities, domestic overnight stays and outdoor entertainment are scheduled to resume from 17 May, again with safety measures and restrictions in place.
We recommend checking individual attractions' websites before travelling, and look forward to welcoming you to Medway soon.
April's English Festival and May's Rochester Sweeps Festival are not going ahead in 2021. Future events beyond the end of May 2021 are being kept under review by Medway Council.
Event organisers are advised to think carefully before going ahead with any public gatherings due to the legal requirement to protect public safety. Find out more.
- Rochester Castle - the castle is currently closed for essential maintenance work.
- Upnor Castle - Closed for the season.
- Guildhall Museum - Temporarily closed due to the coronavirus restrictions
- Medway Visitor Information Centre in Rochester - Temporarily closed due to the coronavirus restrictions. Scheduled to re-open May.
- The Historic Dockyard Chatham - Closed for the season. Scheduled to re-open May
- Rochester Cathedral - Open for individual prayer, with some Sunday services
- The City of Rochester Society public walking tours - Finished for the season. 2021 Season Dates to be announced soon.
- The Royal Engineers Museum, Gillingham - Temporarily closed due to the coronavirus restrictions. Scheduled to re-open May.
- Huguenot Museum - Temporarily closed due to the coronavirus restrictions. Scheduled to re-open May.
- Diggerland - Re-opened 12 April.
- Paddle Steamer Medway Queen - Temporarily closed due to the coronavirus restrictions
- Medway Park, Strood and Hoo Sports Centres - Re-opened 12 April for pre-booked sessions including family swims
- Eastgate House, Temple Manor and the Old Brook Pumping Station - Closed due to the coronavirus restrictions
- Fort Amherst has closed its formal visitor services, this includes tunnel tours, hires and special events.
- Splashes fun pool is currently closed for a redevelopment project
- Tours of Copper Rivet Distillery remain suspended
Shows at the Central and Brook Theatres in Chatham are being rescheduled but booking is open for shows scheduled for later in the year and beyond. See the latest theatre cancellation and rescheduling news.
Greenspaces and Country Parks
Medway's green spaces and country parks are now open to visitors. Play areas are also open and cafes open for takeaway.
Riverside Country Park
Capstone Country Park
Ranscombe Farm Nature Reserve
RSPB nature reserves at Cooling and Cliffe
Medway's coach park at Curtis Way remains closed while it is being used as a Covid-19 testing centre.
For more information and advice on COVID-19 and how to stay safe visit Medway Council's Coronavirus pages.