Re-opening Medway & Covid-19
Many of Medway's visitor attractions are closed during the second national lockdown. Some have also now closed for the season. We recommend checking individual attractions' websites before travelling.
- Upnor Castle - Now closed for the winter. Due to re-open April 2021.
- Guildhall Museum - Temporarily closed due to the lockdown
- Medway Visitor Information Centre in Rochester - Temporarily closed due to the lockdown
- The Historic Dockyard Chatham - Closed until February.
- Rochester Cathedral - Open for Private Prayer 10.30am–4pm Monday to Saturday and some services will be live-streamed without a congregation being present. No Choral Evensong on weekdays until further notice
- The City of Rochester Society public walking tours - Finished for the season
- The Royal Engineers Museum, Gillingham - Temporarily closed due to the lockdown
- Huguenot Museum - Temporarily closed due to the lockdown
- Diggerland - Closed for the season
- Paddle Steamer Medway Queen has re-opened to visitors. Open Saturdays only 11am-4pm (last admission 3pm)
- Medway Park, Strood and Hoo Sports Centres. - Temporarily closed due to the lockdown
The following visitor attractions had remained closed since the first lockdown:
- Rochester Castle - the castle is currently closed for essential maintenance work.
- Eastgate House, Temple Manor and the Old Brook Pumping Station
- Fort Amherst has closed its formal visitor services, this includes tunnel tours, hires and special events.
- Splashes fun pool is remaining closed for an 18-month refurbishment programme
- Tours of Copper Rivet Distillery remain suspended
Events cancelled in Medway
In line with government's advice, Medway Council has cancelled all its events until to the end of 2020, including the Christmas Market, Dickensian Christmas Festival and Christmas lights switch on. Dickens 150 anniversary activities planned for 2020 have were replaced with the Virtual Dickens 150 campaign.
Shows at the Central and Brook Theatres in Chatham are being rescheduled. The Central Theatre pantomime Peter Pan, and the Brook Theatre Christmas production have also been postponed for 2020. See the latest theatre cancellation and rescheduling news.
Greenspaces and Country Parks
Medway's green spaces and country parks are now open to visitors. Play areas have also re-opened.
Riverside Country Park
Capstone Country Park
Ranscombe Farm Nature Reserve
RSPB nature reserves at Cooling and Cliffe
Medway's coach park at Curtis Way will be closed until the end of March 2021 as it is being used as a Covid-19 testing centre.
For more information and advice on COVID-19 and how to stay safe visit Medway Council's Coronavirus pages.