From elite level sport and community events to sports centres, running trails and cycle routes, Medway has much to offer the active visitor.
Medway is passionate about sport and runs an annual summer Festival of Sport, offering a host of opportunities for people to play, compete or spectate.
If you’re want company whilst keeping fit during your visit, why not join Medway’s parkrun at the Great Lines Heritage Park in Gillingham? Parkrun is a timed 5km run that takes place at 9am every Saturday. Registering for parkrun is free and registered runners can take part in any parkrun event across the country. For more information visit www.parkrun.org.uk/greatlines.
Medway’s sports centres offer everything for the active visitor.
We have five swimming pools, including three fitness pools, a fun pool at Splashes and an outdoor pool at The Strand Leisure Park, where you can also enjoy footgolf, pitch and putt and crazy golf, playground equipment and our popular miniature railway.
You can also enjoy a day membership for our four gyms, take part in one of more than 150 fitness classes a week, hire badminton, squash or tennis. For more information and location details visit www.medway.gov.uk/sportscentres.
Medway also boasts an ice rink, dry ski slope, a bowling ally and a number of country parks, including Capstone Country Park, complete with trim trails, a BMX track, running routes and bridleways. Or if you want to get out and about on your bike, find out more about Medway’s network of cycle routes.
Medway hosts three mass participation events during the year in swimming, cycling and running, all offering exciting opportunities for the community and visitors alike to get active and have fun.
The Medway Mile through historic Rochester was our signature countdown event to the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games. Such was its success that it is has remained on the annual event calendar as a legacy of the 2012 Games.
Medway is fast becoming known as a destination for hosting major sporting events.
The Modern Pentathlon World Cup in 2010 was the first global sporting event to be hosted in Medway. Thousands of spectators enjoyed four days of competition by the world’s leading multisport athletes, including world and Olympic champions.
Since then, Medway has hosted events including the Wheelchair Rugby League World Cup and European Championships, International Men's U21 World Qualifier Handball and the Modern Pentathlon European Championships.
Medway is also home to a number of sports clubs that compete in the national league for their sport or offer spectator opportunities.
- Gillingham FC – Football: Gillingham FC play their football in Nationwide Division 1. They play their home games at MEMS Priestfield Stadium. For fixtures and ticket news visit their website.
- Gillingham Ladies FC – Football: Gillingham Ladies FC play their football in the FA women premier league. They play their home games at Chatham Town FC or Priestfield Stadium. For fixtures and ticket news visit the Gillingham Ladies website.
- Chatham Town Football: Chatham Town FC play in the Ryman League North Division. They play their home games at The Sports Ground, Maidstone Road. For fixtures and ticket information visit the Chatham Town FC website.
- Kent Crusaders – Basketball: Kent Crusaders are based in Medway, details are available on the website.
- Holcombe Hockey Club – Hockey: Holcombe Hockey club men's and ladies 1st's are playing national league hockey and both boast international players in their squads. Their fixtures and information are on the club website , they welcome spectators to all home games.
- Invicta Dynamos - Ice Hockey: Dynamos play their home games at Silver Blades in Gillingham. They play in NIHL South Division 1.
- Invicta Dynamics - Ice Hockey: Invicta Dynamics is the only ladies ice hockey team in Kent. They play in EIHL Division 1 South and play their home games at Silver Blades, Gillingham. Fixtures information is available on their website.
- Medway Dragons - Rugby League: Medway Dragons first team play their matches at the Garrison Stadium, Gillingham, while their national league wheelchair rugby league team play their home games at Medway Park.
Sport & Leisure
Sport & Leisure
sport & leisure
sport & leisure