From elite level sport and community events to sports centres, running trails, tennis courts and cycle routes, Medway has much to offer the active visitor.
Medway is passionate about sport and offers a host of opportunities for people to play, compete or spectate.
Why not join Medway’s parkrun at the Great Lines Heritage Park in Gillingham? Parkrun is a timed 5km run that takes place at 9am every Saturday. There is also a Junior parkrun on Sunday mornings at The Strand in Gillingham. Registering for parkrun is free and registered runners can take part in any parkrun event across the country.
Please note parkrun has not yet resumed following the coronavirus pandemic.
We have also created a number of one-mile routes in Medway's parks and open spaces, in addition to the marked running routes at Capstone Country Park.
Sports centres and swimming pools
Medway’s sports centres offer everything for the active visitor. We have five swimming pools, including three fitness pools, a competition pool and diving pit at Medway Park, a fun pool at Splashes and an outdoor pool at The Strand Leisure Park, where you can also enjoy crazy golf, playground equipment and the popular miniature railway during the summer.
You can also enjoy a day membership for our four gyms, take part in one of more than 150 fitness classes a week, hire badminton, squash or table tennis courts. For more information and location details visit www.medway.gov.uk/sportscentres.
Please note: The Strand outdoor pool and paddling pool will not be opening summer 2020. Splashes fun pool in Rainham is also closed for a £5m improvement project.
Other ideas for getting active
Medway also boasts an ice rink, karting track, dry ski slope, a bowling alley, trampoline parks and watersports centres, plus a number of country parks, including Capstone Country Park, complete with trim trails, a BMX track, running routes and bridleways. Or if you want to get out and about on your bike, find out more about Medway’s network of cycle routes.
Medway hosts three mass participation events during the year-The Big Splash a celebration of aquatic opportunities, The Big Ride and the Medway Mile all offering exciting opportunities for the community and visitors alike to get active and have fun.
The Medway Mile through historic Rochester was our signature countdown event to the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games. Such was its success that it is has remained on the annual event calendar as a legacy of the 2012 Games. The next Medway Mile event will take place on Friday, 23 July, on the opening day of the rescheduled Olympic and Paralympic Games in Tokyo.
Medway is fast becoming known as a destination for hosting major sporting events.
The Modern Pentathlon World Cup in 2010 was the first global sporting event to be hosted in Medway. Thousands of spectators enjoyed four days of competition by the world’s leading multisport athletes, including world and Olympic champions.
Since then, Medway has hosted events including the Wheelchair Rugby League World Cup and European Championships, international handball, sitting volleyball, national swim, cycling, futsal, judo and basketball events, as well as the Modern Pentathlon European Championships.
Medway is also home to a number of sports clubs that compete in the national league for their sport or offer spectator opportunities.
- Gillingham FC – Football: Gillingham FC play their home games at MEMS Priestfield Stadium. For fixtures and ticket news visit their website.
- Gillingham Ladies FC – Football: Gillingham Ladies FC play their home games at Chatham Town FC or Priestfield Stadium. For fixtures and ticket news visit the Gillingham Ladies website.
- Chatham Town Football: Chatham Town FC play in the Ryman League North Division. They play their home games at The Sports Ground, Maidstone Road. For fixtures and ticket information visit the Chatham Town FC website.
- Black Lion Swimming Club - Medway Park is home to the swimming club which represent national and regional swimmers and are hosts to over 40 swimming galas throughout the year.
- Holcombe Hockey Club – Hockey: Holcombe Hockey club men's and ladies play top flight hockey and both boast international players in their squads. Their fixtures and information are on the club website , they welcome spectators to all home games.
- Invicta Dynamos - Ice Hockey: Dynamos play their home games at Planet ice in Gillingham.
- Invicta Dynamics - Ice Hockey: Invicta Dynamics is the only ladies ice hockey team in Kent. They play their home games at Planet Ice, Gillingham. Fixtures information is available on their website.